Butternut Squash & Apple Chicken Sausage Rigatoni
Fall flavors in a simple 5 ingredient pasta dish! A perfect meal for a crisp, fall weeknight.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounce bag of diced frozen butternut squash
- 16 ounces rigatoni
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package al fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage sliced
- ½ cup half & half (or milk)
- ½ cup shredded Italian cheese blend
Preheat the oven to 425. Line a medium sheet pan with foil. Toss together butternut squash, oil, and about ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender and browned in spots. Set aside.
Meanwhile, make pasta. Bring water to a boil. Add ½ teaspoon sea salt and cook pasta according to package directions. When pasta is finished, drain and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cooked butternut squash and rigatoni to the pan, and stir to combine. Add half and half and cheese, and toss together until everything is coated and saucy.
Serve hot & enjoy!
For vegan version: Use a vegan sausage in place of the chicken sausage. Swap out plain, unsweetened non-dairy creamer in place of the half and half. Use vegan "cheese" shreds or a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast in place of the cheese.
For Gluten-free version: Use your favorite gluten-free pasta in place of regular rigatoni.
- Add other roasted vegetables such as zucchini, onions, Brussels sprouts or broccoli.
- Use ground sausage or chicken or pork sausage links in different flavor varieties.
- Use your favorite jarred cream sauce instead of half & half and cheese.