The end of September signals the beginning of the craziest time of year for me. While Mother Nature slows down and goes into hibernation mode for the winter, I go into hyper-drive. In my family, we get about 30 seconds to enjoy the newness of fall before we propel ourselves into 4 birthdays all within the last 2 weeks of the month, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and a partridge in a pear tree. It happens in the blink of an eye, and I feel like once we reach this point, I don’t have a spare second to breathe again until the second week of January or so.
Orca Bean, Kale & Pumpkin Crostini
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup Stonyfield plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Orca Beans cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 a small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 cup finely chopped kale or your favorite greens
- 12 pieces of toasted French bread or favorite bread
- In a medium skillet, heat a few teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion to the pan and cook until softened and translucent, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute or so. Add kale and cook until wilted down, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in cooked beans, season with a sprinkle of salt, and allow the beans to heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together pumpkin, Greek yogurt, ricotta cheese and salt. Spread a heaping tablespoon onto each slice of toasted bread.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the bean mixture onto each piece of bread.
- Serve while still warm or at room temperature.